- In order to carry out an ancestry search Discover Your Past needs as much clear information as you can provide. This will assist the search and prevent time being wasted looking for information that you already have. An electronic data gathering sheet will be provided, and once completed can be scanned and returned to Discover Your Past. Alternatively you may provide the information requested by e-mail, using the data gathering sheet as a guide as to what information is helpful.
- Discover Your Past may request further clarification or information before research is undertaken, if the initial information provided by you is ambiguous. This is to prevent your research time being wasted in identifying the correct individual that you wish us to find.
- Payment is required before research commences. A secure payment method using PayPal is provided through the Discover Your Past website
- The minimum charge is for a one hour search, although more would usually be required if you are just starting out on your family tree journey. A good starting point would be a three hour search and then, depending on the results, further research may be requested if you require it.
- It is important to understand that no guarantees can be given as to the amount of information which will be found within the time span chosen. Some records have been lost through fire and poor storage methods, especially once the research is being undertaken in the old parish records. Every effort will be made to trace as much information is possible in the time allowed.
- In the event of a more specialised request being made, which would only be available by a visit to a central depository, eg The British Library in London, Discover Your Past will contact you to discuss if this is something that justifies the expenses that will be incurred.
- Discover Your Past will carry out the research requests in strict order of receipt. If there is to be a delay in responding due to heavy volumes, Discover Your Past will contact you to give an approximate time scale before research will be started.
- If for any reason it is not possible to carry out the research you have requested Discover your Past will refund the payment you made on first application.
- If your requested research involves a visit to a Record Office mileage costs will be incurred in line with the table below.
- If a Family History Box is requested, the additional £25 cost will cover any photos copies etc that are included. Birth, Marriage or Death certificates will however incur an extra charge, currently £9.25. Discover Your Past reserves the right to increase this cost in line with the charge made by the General Register Office. Postal costs will be incurred when the finished box is despatched to an address outside of the UK.
Mileage costs if a visit to a Record office is in excess of a 25-mile (40 Km) round trip
|Under 25 miles (40 Km)||No charge|
|26 – 50 miles (40 – 80Km)||£7.50|
|51 – 75 miles (80 – 120 Km)||£10|
|76 – 100 miles (120 – 160 Km)||£12.50|
|101 – 125 miles (160 – 201 Km)||£15.00|
|126 – 150 miles (201 – 241 Km)||£17.50|
|In excess of 150 miles (241Km +)||£20|